Tuesday 16 October 2007

New Toys

Well, I've got my new computer, a Dell laptop (Inspiron 1720). It's very pretty and contains heaps of things I don't understand, so it must be good, right? Among other things, I received a 'free' "BT Travel Mouse. I set aside my 'natural' aversion to wireless 'anything' (after all, it was free!) and decided to go with it.

The instructions are so minute that I had to get the generous eyes of Anna to come and read them and install the thing, then, of course, it didn't work, so she had to 'troubleshoot' to get it going, which the little genius accomplished. Unfortunately, it only worked for that session and about 10 minutes after I booted up this morning. Despite my following their 'self-help' torture trail (after doing the obvious button pushing) it wouldn't work. Angel Anna came down and attempted to solve the problem but no luck. I've taken the mouse (USB) off my other computer where all the things I want to access are (rendering it virtually useless unless I want to keep switching the mouse back and forth until I get them all set up on the new one - and how am I going to do that?).

I've asked Dell for help through their online contact option and have received the traditional automatic response. You know the one where they give you options for solving a completely different problem from the one you're experiencing and suggesting that you contact them with all the same details/information again if this 'piece of shit' answer doesn't solve your problem.

I have to ask: has anyone EVER had one of these auto responses address their problem, let alone solve it? Remind me again: why do we love computer technology so much?

2 comments:

  1. This is great info to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Updating this item. I eventually had Dell come out to try to fix the bluetooth mouse problem. It took 2 full days to get it working and it stopped again after a week. I've given up! I can't be bothered.

    ReplyDelete