Wednesday 27 November 2013

Pope Francis calls unfettered capitalism 'tyranny' and urges rich to share wealth | World news | theguardian.com

 This is the first time EVER that I have considered the words of a Pope to be worth listening to.  People in this position of enormous power have, in my view, misused that power to keep the disadvantaged in their place while supporting the rich and powerful, even disciplining those priests who supported those who rose up against murderous dictators.  Francis is making different 'noises' and I'm starting to listen.  Several things occur to me, principally (of course) that he may not survive as he seeks to reform the Vatican's financial holdings (e.g., bank).  I'll be interested in any progress but criticism of capitalism is good!

Pope Francis calls unfettered capitalism 'tyranny' and urges rich to share wealth | World news | theguardian.com

No comments:

Post a Comment